In few dates
The creation of a Faculty of Sciences on the Liège site dates back to 1811, in other words several years before the King of Holland William I created three state Universities on July 25, 1816: Liège, Gent and Louvain. The inauguration of the University of Liège took place on September 25, 1817.
The buildings associated with the Faculty of Sciences were initially situated in the Liège town centre before some of them were transferred to Outremeuse (Botany and Zoology) and Cointe (Astrophysics). The Chemistry Institute for its part remained situated in the city centre site buildings (the current place du 20 Août).
Furthermore the Liège Botanical Garden, with its arboretum and its complex of greenhouses, founded in 1819, two years after the University of Liège, is the only botanical garden in Wallonia. Its arboretum, one of the most remarkable in Belgium, numbers one hundred and seventy species of trees and shrubs and some fifteen ‘champions’ of Belgium, planted in 1841. The ensemble of greenhouses, designed in a Victorian style, is classified and constitutes an exceptional example of an architecture marrying iron and glass in the 19th century. The greenhouses have now been integrated into the not for profit organisation ‘the ULg’s Botanical Spaces.’.
Towards the end of the 1960s, the relocation of a great majority of the University’s Faculties towards the Sart Tilman wooded estate began. This transfer was spread over a period of over forty years.
It was for its 150th anniversary, in 1967, that the University of Liège officially inaugurated the first Sart Tilman buildings, including the Physics Institute and the Chemistry laboratory work-research complex. The Botany Institute was also transferred to Sart Tilman during the 1965-1970 period.
Later, during the 1990s, the Amphithéâtres de l'Europe (1994-1996) and the Mathematics Institute (1997) were built at Sart Tilman.
Beyond Liège the Faculty of Sciences is also linked with several of the Institution’s other properties: the Arlon Campus, the Stareso Station at Calvi (Corsica), and the Haute Fagnes Science Station at Mont Rigi (close to Robertville). The Faculty of Sciences and the Institution are also involved in the research carried out at the Jungfraujoch Station in Switzerland.